Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2002 Hyundai Accent rear drum brakes

Thread: 2002 Hyundai Accent rear drum brakes

Legacy Member

Default 2002 Hyundai Accent rear drum brakes

Does anyone know how to tighten the back brakes on 2002 Hyundai Accent? From any other drum brake I've ever seen, there's a roller that tightens the shoes by pushing them outwards as you screwed the nut... on the accent, there doesn't seem to be any sort of similar setup. I've tried bleeding the brakes and was planning on putting new shoes on tonight (since I'm calgary and we're having a shinook with random warm weather for 2 hours ) but the new brakes look as thick as the ones coming off so I don't think they should be coming off, just tightened.

The reason I'm doing this is because when I goto stop I can hear a scratching noise and it's definatley only when I press on the brakes, and definatley coming from the back. They seem to be worn out evenly so my only other conclusion is some how tightening them.

Help with any advice... let me do this in the warm weather while it lasts haha

I have a 2003 accent, different body, same mechanics

there is a brake show ajuster, it prob is"hidden" behind the hub
    the attached picture is off the service manual from hyundai for the 2002 accent

i have also notice this noise too and its due to the shoes rubbing against the backing plate, just get some brake lube and put it between the shoe and the backing plate and it will be fine

cheers
    marc

Legacy Member

Thanks very much for the help 03AccentGSi... it ended up being too late as I'd already taken off the hub on one side to see what I could find... yes though it was ahidden behind that hub. It seems all revolves around that since even just to simply replace the shoes the spring tool is too big to be able to get over top of that first spring when the hub is in there.

I had tried using brake cleaner before when I had this problem and it never solved it. It did end up being just a matter of tightening up that adjuster and it was fine after. (only took a few hours as when I was pressing the brakes, I forgot that the drum from the other side was off.... so of course I pumped out the pistons all together which was a nice PITA to try and put back in... although much easier than putting cylinders from the front back in.)

Of course this caused air in the brakes at which point I needed to bleed, but ever since they've been awsome! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!

no worries

you should check out http://www.hmaservice.com/

its the online tech manual from hyundai, it includes recalls, service bulletins and such

you just have to sign up, you wont get your password, you have to click on the forgot password link and a new password will be sent to you
    for some reason this site only works in IE.

marc