Thread: Tesla Signs $100 Million Deal to Supply Toyota RAV4 EV Electric Powertrains

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tesla Signs $100 Million Deal to Supply Toyota RAV4 EV Electric Powertrains

Clearing up erroneous reports, Toyota has confirmed it will sell the RAV4 EV to the public and has just singed a deal with Tesla Motors Inc. to supply the electric powertrains for the emissions free crossover.

Valued at $100 million it looks as though Tesla might actually be on the right track towards making a profit, especially with stock shares spiking 5 percent on the news. Toyota previously signed a contact with Tesla worth $60 million in order to develop the electric battery packs for the ‘ute, which debuted at the LA Auto Show last year.
    The RAV4 EV is expected to go on sale as early as the first quarter of 2012.

We are getting there! I really think EVs are the way to go. Saw a Leaf on the highway yesterday for the first time. I wanted to give the guy a thumbs up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats awesome!
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

Post Thanks / Like

not in our lifetime!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    only a fool with a low self esteem will care about what others think you drive

A.K.A: Jdc420
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you figure? Plan on being alive for the next 10-15 years?

Post Thanks / Like

inside jokes. kind of not inside tho.

guess you had to be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    only a fool with a low self esteem will care about what others think you drive

Post Thanks / Like

Just think...if GM didnt kill the EV, they would be so far advanced, we would probably be buying electrical upgrades for our E cars.

Johnny Lightening: Yo broseph check this shit man...got myself a current booster
    Jimmy Spark: Yo dogg you can't be flowin that much current through there or you'll blow your brushes
    Johnny Lightening: its all good breh...I got me a 30 amp current controller
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Back when the EV1 was around not too many people were interested in driving an PEV. Don't forget people were paying $1.75/ga. Now we're paying $1.30ish a litre people can be more convinced. Also, back then the best batteries they had were nicad. Thanks to the laptop era and other things we have li-ion and li-po packs with a significantly higher charge density and much higher charge/discharge rates.

I'm happy to see the Tesla guys ink their deal. They put a lot of $$$ into developing their brushless controllers. Imagine having to drive 300A of current to start these motors, startup, reverse, regenerative braking, fail-safes and cell balancing all in one package. In the future EV mods will be much like Monty says, replacing the shunts, upgrading the current IGBTs and hopefully NOT toasting your electric motors. I honestly can't wait for a PEV I can buy and drive!

-Michael
    Contact hackish@gmail.com. 819-778-7047 but email is far more reliable as I may or may not be in the city, province or even country. Tuning Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Lotus, Mini, VW/Audi, Ford, Dodge and GM. Hyundai coming soon!