Thread: 350-Mile, $25,000 Electric Car By 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default 350-Mile, $25,000 Electric Car By 2017

Energy Secretary Steven Chu and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa are looking to jump-start the American electric car industry, to use the hackneyed pun. With Department of Energy research funding going towards battery development, Chu believes that their goal of a car that can make LA to Las Vegas on one charge, and sell for $25,000 without a government subsidy, will be attainable in 6 years.
    http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...of-energy.html

This should be available now but I guess 6 years is better than nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

new tow service: charging up Leaves somewhere between LA and LV - $350

a $ per mile it "goes"

"I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is sexy but how fast can this car go? Usually speed factors the distance.
    It's not just a hobby it's a lifestyle

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

They are usually rated for the 60-65mph speed limit. Higher speed means more energy lost in friction so that has a big impact. Also, how you drive makes a big difference. It's not all that different from hypermiling a real gasoline car. Expect the cars to be able to go faster but at a greatly reduced range.

-Michael
    Contact hackish@gmail.com. 819-778-7047 but email is far more reliable as I may or may not be in the city, province or even country. Tuning Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Lotus, Mini, VW/Audi, Ford, Dodge and GM. Hyundai coming soon!

A.K.A: Slo_Teggy
    Post Thanks / Like

3rd time's a charm? They had electric cars in the early 1900's. They were then returned and destroyed a little while back. Watch "Who killed the electric car?" documentary on Netflix. It's entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like

Hydrogen was probably an easier/better way to commute around with. Either way, it won't hit Canada for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Until they can perfect batteries than can be fully charged within 15-30 mins, those cars won't be viable for road trips.

Quote Originally Posted by 97Dc4 View Post
    I love Animal sex.

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

350MILES won't be good for a road trip?
    It's not just a hobby it's a lifestyle

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcjduong View Post
    Hydrogen was probably an easier/better way to commute around with. Either way, it won't hit Canada for quite a while.
    I disagree. It's hard to store and doesn't hold that much energy per m3. Best part about an electric car is you can plug it in at home. Most households have 2 cars anyway so why not have one of each and use the expensive one on the long trips? I worked out the math a long time ago and if you went on a long trip once a month it would still be cheaper to rent a car for those 2-3 days.

-Michael
    Contact hackish@gmail.com. 819-778-7047 but email is far more reliable as I may or may not be in the city, province or even country. Tuning Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Lotus, Mini, VW/Audi, Ford, Dodge and GM. Hyundai coming soon!

Legacy Member
    A.K.A: cloud_strife75
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hackish View Post
    I disagree. It's hard to store and doesn't hold that much energy per m3. Best part about an electric car is you can plug it in at home. Most households have 2 cars anyway so why not have one of each and use the expensive one on the long trips? I worked out the math a long time ago and if you went on a long trip once a month it would still be cheaper to rent a car for those 2-3 days.

-Michael
    I disagree with you Hackish.

The point to these vehicles is getting away from non-renewable energy if possible. Hydrogen is one of the most abondent elements there is out there. Hydrogen is the future... whats hard to store today won't be tomorrow.

If we seriously want to get away from oil/coal etc... Hydrogen will be our ticket.

Hybrid cars are a joke... we are told that we need to cut down a/c useage during the summer to save power... yet we all think we can plug in hybrids at the same time? lulz... Also, have people thought about the environmental damage replacing a set of batteries on these things will cost? There is no way yet to reuse or recycle battery acid as far as i know. I'll keep my gas car until Hydrogen comes out, or they learn to dispose/recycle/reuse battery acid.
    ------------ 2010 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 ------------
    14.8 @ 95.4MPH at Shitville dragway

Post Thanks / Like

wonder how long it will take to charge up gain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Until they can perfect batteries than can be fully charged within 15-30 mins, those cars won't be viable for road trips.
    Cars using Ultra Capacitors will break this holdback to electrics. They should be able to charge in less time than it takes to fill up a tank of gas and have the same range as a gas powered car. They also will not require a heater or cooling system on the battery to keep it alive.

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I walked by one of these in Sendai Japan cool concept, I have a picture of it somewhere let me post it
    Contact number: 613.276.3762
    for all your Acura 1.6 EL needs

Http://www.facebook.com/hashiriyatuning

Post Thanks / Like

They need to find a way to run the car through solar panels. Once that's complete... BOOYA!
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_strife75 View Post
    I disagree with you Hackish.

The point to these vehicles is getting away from non-renewable energy if possible. Hydrogen is one of the most abondent elements there is out there. Hydrogen is the future... whats hard to store today won't be tomorrow.

If we seriously want to get away from oil/coal etc... Hydrogen will be our ticket.

Hybrid cars are a joke... we are told that we need to cut down a/c useage during the summer to save power... yet we all think we can plug in hybrids at the same time? lulz... Also, have people thought about the environmental damage replacing a set of batteries on these things will cost? There is no way yet to reuse or recycle battery acid as far as i know. I'll keep my gas car until Hydrogen comes out, or they learn to dispose/recycle/reuse battery acid.
    Where do you think the hydrogen comes from? They have to use electricity to split up water into hydrogen and oxygen and it's not particularly efficient either. Depending on the technology used ie fuel cells, you're taking electricity, turning it into hydrogen, then turning it back into electricity and driving off it. Batteries are far more efficient.

Where will the power come from to charge these? Since power use at noon is maybe 60-70% higher than at 03:00am overnight charging of electric cars has the capability to level this out. Technically plugged in cars could also offload a little of their charge back into the grid at peak hours too. Take power at 03:00 and allow your car to sell some back 10h later for a higher price? Booyah! With hydrogen cars you will need more electricity per mile you drive as compared to batteries anyway.

As far as I am aware they are already recycling the batteries. Lithium is fairly expensive so recycling it makes sense. I know they have recycling facilities for all your laptop and cell batteries so it's not a big stretch to imagine car li-ion batteries too.

Hybrid cars are a joke? They do seem to be getting better fuel economy than straight gas engines. Nearly all the cabs in Vancouver are running priuses. I asked a cabbie about economy and he showed me he was getting 4.8l/100km in the city. I built my civic to get better economy and hypermile that thing and I don't even get that on the highway.

-Michael

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    They need to find a way to run the car through solar panels. Once that's complete... BOOYA!
    Unfortunately there isn't enough sunlight energy landing on your car to adequately power it. They've been working on solar cells now for more than 50 years without making huge improvements so I'm not holding my breath on that one. Solar panels at home/work to charge the cars might make sense.

-Michael

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MMT View Post
    Cars using Ultra Capacitors will break this holdback to electrics. They should be able to charge in less time than it takes to fill up a tank of gas and have the same range as a gas powered car. They also will not require a heater or cooling system on the battery to keep it alive.
    Good point. There has been a bunch of cap research going on at a US university (arizona or something like that) where they have proposed some sort of nano technology for the components and in theory should be able to produce a storage unit that would satisfy our needs. For the charge time problem a carmaker could also produce a universal cell that you simply rent and exchange at your "energy station". Drive up, change the batteries and drive on. As a business model that definitely could work.

-Michael