Thread: Corvette Mid-Engine Rumors Surface… Again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Corvette Mid-Engine Rumors Surface… Again

I think this would be an excellent development. The Camaro and Corvette are too similar in my opinion and if the Vette wants to make the jump to supercar status (I don't consider it one) it will need mid engine placement.

According to the latest rumors, the C7 may actually be the model that ushers in a bold new change for the Vette, with AutoCar suggesting the car model, set to launch in 2013 as a 2014 car, could go mid-engine. Supporting this are comments by GM North America president Mark Reuss who said the car will be “completely different” from the current model.

GM execs have been open about the fact they want to transform the Chevrolet Corvette into a car with global appeal that will compete alongside models from Ferrari and Porsche. To do that, it will finally get an interior deserving of its performance says GM global design boss Ed Welburn, describing the C7 interior as “absolutely world class.”

Plus, rumors continue to be floated about a possible V6 engine.GM recently announced a $131 million investment in its Bowling Green, Kentucky plant, known also as the Corvette Factory, as it prepares to put the C7 into production in 2013.
    http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ace-again.html

Post Thanks / Like

doesn't the z06 not already have the ideal 50-50 weight distribution? why would they want to move it to a mid engine and fuck with that?

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowstang00 View Post
    doesn't the z06 not already have the ideal 50-50 weight distribution? why would they want to move it to a mid engine and fuck with that?
    Don't bring logic into this now, it's about being world class.
    Ironically enough this car puts "world class" cars on the trailer as it sits now.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it the way it is, and like mentioned, it already has 50/50 weight distribution. Why mess with something that works so well, and looks so damned good already?

Post Thanks / Like

evolution?
    perhaps they believe that they could be FAR superior if they went mid-engine.

G35 Sedans have 50/50 weight distribution; not like they can't recreate that in a midengine....

"I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't find the camaro and corvette similar at all, in appearance or capability. I think they are making a big mistake here, trying to go after a different (I bought an R8 cause I have too much money it goes well with my white framed sunglasses) crowed isnt what they should be doing. Anyone who is into the performance of a vehicle, knows about automotive numbers & design already has a lot of respect for this car. And the fact they it puts so many other cars to shame for less money is amazing.

All the development and changes for a Mid engine vette are going to make the price go way up, and they are exchanging one group of buyers for another group which could be smaller and more biast to the more exotic auto makers.

Post Thanks / Like

interesting

Legacy Member
    A.K.A: WannabeRacer
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, interesting. If they really want to compete in the supercar market, why not just develop a who new car for that. That way they could move forward while not alienating the current customer base. I have a feeling there will be some backlash from the public about this.

Didn't something similar happen to Ford when they flirted with making the Mustang FWD in what became the Probe?

Post Thanks / Like

Info that I found conflicting is that there are talks about mid engine, and alongside that, talks about a v6 option. So are they going after exotics, or the budget minded sports car enthusiast?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowstang00 View Post
    this guy has a 50/50 weight distribution

this guy also has a 50/50 weight distribution

Now which one can spin faster? which one can run and switch direction faster?

here's how it works:

The reason we prefer mid-engined cars is, instead of better balance, mid-engined cars have superior steering response. This is because they have lower polar moment of inertia. Considering the two system shown in below.

Both of them have equal front to rear weight distribution. The one having the mass concentrating near the CG (in other words, lower polar moment of inertia) is easier to rotate about the CG. This could be easily verified by our experience. Applying the same steering force, the mid-engined car steers more quickly. The same for countering a steering action. This means it is responsive to steer and correct.

There is another advantage: since less effort is required to steer the car, we can reduce or even discard power steering, which always filter the feedback from the road thus downgrade the steering feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
    this guy has a 50/50 weight distribution

this guy also has a 50/50 weight distribution

Now which one can spin faster? which one can run and switch direction faster?

here's how it works:
    I understand that, but I don't think they'll end up with a 50-50 weight distribution, so I guess in my mind, the question is whats more important? 50-50 or a lower polar moment of inertia?

Post Thanks / Like

what makes you think they won't achieve 50/50 with lower polar bear?

take a look at the s2000... the engine sits behind the struts... it's some sort of mid engine, and it's still 50/50

right now the corvette engine is far up front, they achieved 50/50 by locating the transmission (transaxle) at the back.

don't get me wrong... I bow down in front of the ZR1 when I see it, but there's no doubt they can make it better... now I'd like to see the engine layout of a C6R... pretty sure there's a lower polar bear moment of inertia

Edit: yup, look at how far the engine sits on the C6R...

double edit: oh snap...
    All Chevrolet Corvette from the second generation (model year 1963) through current models are FMR layouts
    In automotive design, a front mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout (FMR) is one that places the engine in the front, with the rear wheels of vehicle being driven. In contrast to the front-engine, rear-wheel drive (FR) layout, the engine is pushed back far enough that its center of mass is to the rear of the front axle. This aids in weight distribution and reduces the moment of inertia, improving the vehicle's handling. The mechanical layout of a FMR is substantially the same as a FR car. Some models of the same vehicle can be classified as either FR or FMR depending on the length of the installed engine (e.g. 4-cylinder vs. 6-cylinder) and its centre of mass in relation to the front axle.
    Last edited by LuckyDuck; 05-11-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not gonna lie, when I think mid engine layout, the first thing that comes to mind is putting the engine behind the driver (and what I was thinking of when I read the "rumor article"). Not keeping it behind the front struts and in front of the driver.